About Medicine Department
Established in 1988, the Department of Medicine at Shalamar Hospital is the largest clinical department with eight specialties. Our physicians specialise in primary care and wellness of patients with chronic medical conditions.
Our department is recognised for the scope and quality of its clinical services and interdisciplinary research endeavours, as we aim for better understanding of diseases in a regional context. In coordination with Shalamar Medical & Dental College (SMDC), the faculty is leading efforts towards ensuring interactive teaching and training of medical students.
We are committed to translating new knowledge into better prevention and treatment, and to provide effective patient care to improve the health of our patients whilst observing the highest standards of ethics, integrity and compassion.
Conditions We Treat
Procedure and Treatments
Prof Mujeeb is a Consultant Physician & Neurologist at Shalamar Hospital. He is head of Medicine Department for both Shalamar Hospital as well as Shalamar Medical & Dental College Lahore. He is a Fellow of both College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan and Royal College of Physicians London.
He is a graduate of King Edward Medical College and after completing internship/ house job he worked for 2 years in far flung areas of Pakistan where he got the experience of working in under developed areas of Pakistan. In 1991 he started his residency in Internal Medicine from Armed Forces Post Graduate Medical Institute Rawalpindi and after passing fellowship examination in 1994 he got enrolled in Neurology training which he took from Charing Cross Hospital London and Military Hospital Rawalpindi. From 1999 onwards after completing his training in Neurology he has been working in capacity of Consultant Physician & Neurologist. He has worked for over 18 years in Pakistan Army and on retirement from 2008 till Jan 2012 he worked in University of Lahore as Professor & Head Department of Medicine. Since Jan 2012 he is working in Shalamar Institute of Health Sciences. From May 2013 till Jul 2020 he has also been doing private practice in Hameed Latif Hospital Lahore. Being Professor & Head of Medicine he also supervises teaching and training programs of under graduate medical students of Shalamar Medical & Dental College.
|MRCP(UK-Neurology)||–||Dec 2020||Royal College of Physicians UK||London/UK|
|FRCP (London)||–||1/5/2016||Royal College of Physicians||London/UK|
|MRCP (UK)||–||24/11/1997||Royal College of Physicians||London/UK|
|FCPS (Pak)||1/7/1992||31/7/1994||College of Physicians & Surgeons||Karachi/Pakistan|
|Resident Internal Medicine||July 1992||July 1994||Armed forces post graduate institute Rawalpindi||Rawalpindi/ Pakistan|
|Medical Specialist/ Registrar Neurology||Aug 1994||Jun 1997||Combined Military Hospitals||Bahawalpur/ Jhelum|
|Observer ship Neurology||Jul 1997||Jan 1998||Charing Cross Hospital||London UK.|
- Nawazish, Mahpara, Sana Iqbal, and Mujeeb Ur Rehman Abid Butt. 2021. “Acute Ischemic Stroke in COVID-19 Patient With Lung Collapse: A Case Report”. Asian Journal of Research in Infectious Diseases6 (3), 1-5.
- Sattar A, Khan J, Kakar NH, Butt MRA, Ullah MI. Serum zinc levels and the prevalence of zinc deficiency in patients with liver cirrhosis. 2021; 46(1): 37-40.
- Naveed U, Iqbal A, Ain Q, Hamdani MA, Butt MA, Ashra MA. Behcet’s disease presenting with life threatening manifestation of cerebral venous thrombosis. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2020;32(1):124-6.
- K. Sarwar, M.U. Zafar, M.A. Butt. Skin pigmentation in a patient with Vitamin B12 deficiency presented with subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord. JPMA 2020;70(1):174-177.
- Karim A, Butt MA, Bhatti ASA, Sabir MA, Ain Q, Ahmed MS.Study Of Patterns Of Antihypertensive Drugs Prescriptions In Shalamar Hospital. JSZMC 2019;10(2):1678-1681.
- NajamUl Hasan, Mujeeb Ullah Makki, Izza Abid, Mujeeb Ur Rehman Abid Butt. Association Of Vitamin B12 Deficiency With Intake Of Oral Metformin In Diabetic Patients. J Ayub Med Coll 2019;31(1):72-75.
- Amin ZA, Jahangir S, Asad A, Nisar MU, Qureshi MA, Ahmed N, Butt MuRA, Farooq JH. Correlation between Nerve Conduction Studies and Neurological Scores According to Fibre Type in Patients with Diabetic Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. JIIMC 2016; 11(4): 172-177.
- Naeem T, Tarar MR, Saadia A, Butt MURA, Yousuf H, AdhmiSUZ. Adding misery to the insult: Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and HIV Co-infection. Biomedica 2016;32(1):49-51.
- Butt MA, Nadir R.An unusual presentation of opioid induced cerebral infarction. JCPSP 2016; 26: S76-78.
- Shahzad M, Iqbal A, AhmedRZ, Butt MA. Frequency of Overweight and Obesity in Women. PJMHS, 2011; Vol 5(4): 620-3.
- Butt MA, Shahzad M, Iqbal A et al. Dengue Fever outbreak 2010: Clinical Experience in a Teaching Hospital of Lahore Pakistan. PJMHS 2011;5(2):265-69.
- Asad A,MA Hameed, UA Khan, N Ahmed, Butt MA.Reliability of the neurological scores for assessment of sensorimotor neuropathy in type 2 diabetics. J Pak Med Assoc 2010; Vol. 60(3):166-70
- Butt MA, Zakaria M. Association of Common Carotid Intimal Medial Thickness (CCA-IMT) with risk factors of atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Pak Med Assoc 2009; 59(9):590-93.
- Butt MA, Zakaria M, Hussain HM. Circadian pattern of onset of ischaemic and haemorrhagic strokes, and their relation to sleep/wake cycle. J Pak Med Assoc 2009; 59(3):129-32.
- Zakaria M, Butt MA. Epidural Abscess and Meningitis, a Complication of Spinal Anesthesia in a Bacteremic Patient. J Pak Med Assoc 2009; 59(8):565-7.
- Zakaria M, Hussain SR, Butt MA, Rana FG. Precipitating Factors of Hepatic Encephalopathy in Patients with Cirrhosis. The Professional Med J Sep 2008; 15(3):375-379.
- Rafi Ud Din, Zakaria M, Butt MA. Large Gut Causes of Chronic Diarrhea in
Pakistan. The Professional Med J Dec 2008; 15 (4):479-485.
- Asad, M. A. Hameed, U. A. Khan, Butt MA. Ahmed, A. Nadeem. Comparison of nerve conduction studies with diabetic neuropathysymptom score and diabetic neuropathy examination score in type-2diabetics for detection of Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy. J Pak Med Assoc 2009; Vol. 59(9):594-98.
- Hussain HM, Butt MA. Comment on Esler et al (2007). Increased brain serotonin turn over in panic disorder patients in the absence of a panic attack: Reduction by a selective serotonin reuptake Inhibitors. Stress 2008, 11:2;83-84.ofessional Med J Sep 2008; 15(3): 375-379. Med J Sep 2008; 15(3): 375-379. Med J Sep 2008; 15(3): 375-379. 1
- Hussain HM, Usman A, Butt MA. Carisoprodol induced amnestic states and nocturnal blackouts. Aust N Z Psychiatry 2008: 42(10);909-11.
- Hussain H, Butt MA. Buproprion induced hypomania in a patient with unipolar depression. Australian and New Zeeland Journal of Psychiatry 2008;42(8):746.
- Nadeem A, Khan S, Murtaza B, Butt MA, Satti AA. Severe Recurrent Oral Ulceration Secondary to Erosive Lichen Planus. JCPSP 2008.;18(2):107-109.
- Butt MA. Dissertation on “Modes of management of Amoebic Liver Abscess with Special Emphasis on Needle Aspiration”. This was accepted by the College Of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan in March 1994 before being permitted to take FCPS Part 2 examination.
- Hussain HM,Butt MA Supplementation with antioxidants and folinic acid for children with Down syndrome.BMJ 2008; 336: 594-597.
Hussain HM, Butt MA. Association between Critical Care Physician Management and Patient Mortality in theICU.www.annals.org.[e-pub Jun 12, 2008]. (http://www.annals.org/cgi/eletters/148/11/801#89246).