Dr. Maryam Tarar is a Pathologist/ Virologist working at Shalamar Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS) since 2013. She is also in-charge of infection control unit in Shalamar Hospital. She holds a PhD in Virology from University of London and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of UK.
Dr. Tarar attended Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Lahore and proceeded to UK in 1987 after being selected by Ministry of Science & Technology under a scholarship award program for doing MSc/PhD in the field of Virology. After returning to Pakistan, she served in Allama Iqbal Medical College and Lahore Medical & Dental College in city of Lahore.
She also had extensive experience of working in Private sector as a Consultant Virologist, before joining Shalamar Medical & Dental College/ Shalamar Hospital.
|FRCPath / MRCPath||Sep-94||Jan-04||Member / Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists/ UK|
|PhD||Jan-89||Feb-95||Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine|
|MSc||Sep-87||Sep-88||London School of Hygiene &Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)|
|M.B.,B.S.||Jul-79||Jul-85||Fatima Jinnah Medical College|
|Professor||Oct-17||To date||SMDC/SIHS||Lahore Pakistan|
|Associate Professor||Sep-13||Oct-17||SMDC/SIHS||Lahore Pakistan|
|Consultant Virologist||Jan-04||Sep-13||Viralab||Lahore Pakistan|
|Associate Professor||Aug-02||Jul-03||Lahore Medical & Dental College||Lahore Pakistan|
|Assistant Professor||Jun-98||Aug-02||Allama Iqbal Medical College||Lahore Pakistan|
|Consultant||Jun-99||Sep-99||Regional Virus Lab, Gartnaval Gen Hospital||Glasgow, United Kingdom|
|Virologist||May-97||Jun-97||Regional Virus Lab, Gartnaval Gen Hospital||Glasgow, United Kingdom|
|Senior Registrar||Apr-94||Feb-97||Ruchill Hospital||Glasgow, United Kingdom|
|S&T Scholar (Award)||Sep-87||Sep-91||LSHTM &Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine||London/United Kingdom|
- Coronavirus Pandemic Experience of a “Specialized Surgical Service” . Tarar MN & Tarar MR. Archives of Surgical Research Vol 1 (2) 68-70.
- Hepatitis B virus (HBV) immunity status of laboratory staff working at a tertiary care hospital in Lahore: An interventional study. . Naeem T, Tarar MR, Saadia A, Iqbal MD, Naeem ME, Tariq S.  Biomedica Volume 36 (3) 252-256.
- Covid-19 Testing Feud: Does antibody testing really work . Waseem Talat& Tarar MR. Blog Publication (http://medium.com/@taseem/covid-19-testing-feud-does-antibody-testing-really-work-699046a4105c).
- Handbook “Hospital Acquired Infections – Prevention & Control”. Maryam R Tarar & Shehnoor Azhar (Editors) 2020. University of Health Sciences Publication, Lahore.
- Stigmatization and resource allocation – Ethical dilemmas for HIV positive intravenous drug abusers. . Saleem S & Tarar MR. Medical Journal of Sakina Institute 1 (2) 31-33.
- Disclosure of human immunodeficiency virus serostatus to the patient; Issues for laboratory staff . Tarar MR, Naeem T, Naeem ME. Medical Journal of Sakina Institute 1 (1) 34-36.
- Comparison of chemiluminescence immunoassay and immunochromatographic test for Syphilis screening in blood donors attending a tertiary care hospital of Lahore . Saadia A, Tarar MR, Naeem T, Alvi N, Ahsen M, Qureshi M. Biomedica 32 (2) 97-99.
- Frequency of multidrug resistant and extensively drug resistant organisms in tracheal aspirates: Experience at a tertiary care hospital . Ejaz A, Tarar MR, Naeem T, Naeem MA, Ijaz S, Qureshi M. Biomedica 32 (2) 77-82.
- Adding misery to the Insult: Mycobacterium tuberculosis and HIV Co-infection . Naeem T, Tarar MR, Saadia A, Butt MURA,Yousuf H, Adhami SUZ. Biomedica 32 (1) 49-51.
- Temporal pattern and control of an outbreak of extensively drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in an ICU . Tarar MR, Naeem T, Iqbal S, Hadjirul H, Ghouri M, Ishaq M, Qureshi M. Biomedica 31 (1) 36-41.
- Effect of different factors: Interferon alpha plus Ribavirin combination therapy . Iqbal S, Tarar MR, Zia R, Naeem T. Professional Med J 21(6) 1227-31.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Management Plan – DiamerBhasha Dam Project : Document preparation forDiamerBasha Dam Project, at request of DiamerBasha Dam Project Office Township Lahore, as part of the essential requirement by international lending agencies (Asian Development Bank and WHO). Township, Lahore, 20 March, 2009.
- Rapid molecular detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical samples: five year experience . Tarar MR, Ruby G, Chughtai AS. Pakistan Journal of Pathology 15, 4 (Dec), 153-157.
- Markers of viral infection in Haemophiliacs . Tarar MR, Malik N, Chughtai AS. International Journal of Pathology 1, no 1 (July-Dec) 22-24.
- A comparison of infection control practices in pathology laboratories of government teaching hospitals and private sector in Lahore . Tarar MR, Hamid MF. Annals of King Edward Medical College 8, 4 (Oct-Dec), 244-246.
- Awareness of occupational health hazards in pathology laboratories staff- . Tarar MR, Hamid MF, Aman S. Journal of Allama Iqbal Medical College 2, 1 (Jan-June issue), 11-15.
- Expression of a human cytomegalovirus gp58 antigenic domain fused to the hepatitis B virus nucleocapsid protein . Tarar MR, Emery VC, Harrison TJ. FEMS Immunology and Microbiology 16, 183-192.
- Measles, Rubella and Parvovirus B19 in Scotland . Tarar MR & Stevenson J. SCIEH Weekly Report, volume 30, no 96/13, 72-75.
- Expression of Hepatitis B Virus Chimeric Proteins in Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Systems. Maryam R Tarar, PhD Thesis , University of London.
|Fellow/Member of the Royal College of Pathologists –UK & Member CPD Scheme – RCPath- UK||1994||To date||Royal College of Pathologists||United Kingdom|
|Examiner / Paper Setter FCPS Virology||2001||To date||College of Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP)||Pakistan|
|Member Committee of Virology||2014||To date||Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP)||Pakistan|
|Member, WHO National Certification Committee (NCC) for eradication of Poliomyelitis from Pakistan||2015||To date||World Health Organization||Geneva|
|Member, CEAG Corona expert advisory group||2020||To date||Primary & Secondary Healthcare Dept.||Punjab, Pakistan|
|Member Scientific Taskforce on COVID-19||2020||To date||Ministry of Science & Technology (MOST)||Islamabad, Pakistan|
|Member Clinical Innovation Taskforce||2020||To date||Lahore University of Management Sciences||Lahore Pakistan|