About Rheumatology Speciality
Rheumatology, a subspecialty of medicine, is a multidisciplinary field closely linked with the Orthopaedic and Physiotherapy department. In 2017, the Department of Medicine began to offer first-rate diagnostic and therapeutic rheumatology services for the treatment of all types of autoimmune, connective tissue and musculoskeletal diseases. Our division is recognised as one of the few centres in Lahore providing expert care for rheumatic diseases.
At Shalamar Hospital, we assist our patients in managing their chronic conditions by providing
rehabilitative and psychosocial support services. For our financially disadvantaged patients, we
also provide monetary assistance to ensure better compliance in treatment.
Conditions We Treat
Procedure and Treatments
Saira Khan is a Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist. She is certified by JRCTB and GMC, UK as a Specialist in Rheumatology. She also is a Fellow of Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
She graduated from Rawalpindi Medical College in 2000 and received her core medical training at Services Institute of Medical Sciences. After completing MRCP, she underwent Rheumatology training at Fatima Memorial Hospital. She completed her training and is currently working as Assistant Professor Rheumatology.
|Fellowship in Rheumatology||2020||Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh||UK|
|Certificate for Equivalence to Specialty Registration||2020||JRCTB and GMC||UK|
|Specialty Certificate Examination in Rheumatology||2013||Royal College of Physicians & British Society of Rheumatology||UK|
|M.R.C.P||2009||ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS||UK|
|M.B.,B.S. /MD||2000||University of the Punjab||Lahore/Pakistan|
|Assistant Professor Rheumatology||Jul-17||Jun-20||Fatima Memorial Hospital College of Medicine & Dentistry||Lahore. Pakistan|
|Locum Consultant Rheumatology||Jun-19||Jun-19||Prince Charles Hospital, MerthyrTydfil, Wales||UK|
|Senior Registrar Rheumatology||Aug-16||Jun-17||Fatima Memorial Hospital College of Medicine &Dentistry||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Specialist Registrar Rheumatology||Feb-16||Aug-16||Queen’s Medical Complex, Nottingham University Hospital||UK|
|Senior Registrar Rheumatology||Feb-13||Jan-16||Fatima Memorial Hospital College of Medicine & Dentistry||Lahore, Pakistan|
|PG-Trainee Rheumatology||Jan-11||Jan-13||Fatima Memorial Hospital College of Medicine & Dentistry||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Medical Officer Punjab AIDS Control Programme||Dec-09||Jan-11||Services Institute of Medical Sciences||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Medical Officer Medical Unit 4||Oct-06||Nov-09||Services Institute of Medical Sciences||Lahore, Pakistan|
- General Medical Council, UK- Fully registered with License to practice & On Specialist Register for Rheumatology
- Pakistan Medical Council –Fully registered
- International League of Associations for Rheumatology grant 2018; ($19,000.00 US dollars) for “Empowering Family Physicians: Fighting Disability”. Primary awardee.
- WHO-ILAR (International League Against Rheumatism) COPCORD (Community Operated Programme on Control of Rheumatic Diseases) grant for 2018; ($ 14,000 US Dollars). “Burden of Inflammatory back pain and Ankylosing Spondylitis in a semi-urban community in Lahore.” Co-awardee.
- 1st Position – Poster Presentation at Pakistan Society for Rheumatology Conference, 2012
- 1st Position – Biochemistry at Rawalpindi Medical College,1998
- Subject Prize – Physics & Chemistry in Higher Secondary School,1994
- Naveed Aslam Lashari, Saira E.A Khan, Shabnam Batool, Asadullah Khan, Zia u din; Performance of Promis-29 (Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System-29) In Patients of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Pak Armed Forces Med J 2021; 71 (1): 172-78.
- Khan SEA, Aslam MZ, Khan A, Din Z, Bashir F, Khan H. Screeningthe adequacy of hydroxychloroquine prescription and monitoring of oculartoxicity in patients with rheumatic disease. J Fatima Jinnah Med Univ. 2020;14 (3): 128-131.
- Shamim R, Farman S, Batool S, Khan SEA, Raja MKH. Association of systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity index score with clinical and laboratory parameters in paediatric onset systemic lupus erythematosus. Pak J Med Sci. 2020;36(3):467-472. doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.3.1480.
- Saeed MA, Ahmed H, Faiq M, Zeeshan Aslam, Khan SEA; Prevalence of inflammatory back pain and radiographic axial spondylarthritis in a semi-urban community of Lahore, Pakistan. Int J Rheum Dis. 2020; 00:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/1756-185X.14030.
- Khan, SEA, Saeed MA, Ahmad, Batool S, Farman S, Ahmad NM,A Rheumatology Curriculum in Pakistan for Empowering Family Physicians and Fighting disability; International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases.19-00612R1.
- Butt BA, Farman S, Khan SEA, Saeed MA, Ahmad NM. Cognitive dysfunction in patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2017;33(1):59-64
- Anwar MA, Naseem N, Khan SEA, Saeed MA, Ahmad NM, Afzal N, et al. Oral cytolological smears: A predictor of disease progression in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2017; 124 (3):e219-e20.
- Arshad N, Ahmad NM, Saeed MA, Khan S, Batool S, Farman S. Adherence to Methotrexate therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences.2016;32 (2):413-7.
- Imran MY, Khan SEA, Ahmad NM, Farman Raja S, Saeed MA, Ijaz Haider I.Depression in Rheumatoid Arthritis and its relation to disease activity. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2015; 31(2):393-7.
- Anwar MA NN, Tayyab MA, Khan SEA, Saeed MA, Ahmad NM, Nagi AH. Clinico-oral Presentation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patients. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research. 2015;2(4):887-91.
• Royal College of Physicians, London- Collegiate Member and Fellow
• American College of Rheumatology- International Fellow
• Royal Society for Medicine, Member
• Pakistan Society for Rheumatology, Executive Member &Ex- Joint secretary
• Arthritis Care Foundation, Director Clinical Services
• APLAR Special Interest Group (SIG) on Imaging in MSK Diseases- member
• APLAR Special Interest Group (SIG) on Pediatric Rheumatology- member