About Ophthalmology Department
Established in 1998, the Department of Ophthalmology at Shalamar Hospital provides diagnostic and treatment services to people suffering from a range of ocular disorders to prevent blindness and restore visual function.
We strive to preserve the natural gift of vision as we continue incorporate exemplary standards and the latest techniques into our care.
Conditions We Treat
Our department specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of the following conditions
Procedure and Treatments
Congenital Cataract Surgery
Chalazion Incision Curettage
Extracapsular Cataract Surgery
Foreign Body Removal
Dr. Imran Basit is an Ophthalmologist at Shalamar Hospital. He is board certified in OPHTHALMOLOGY and a Fellow of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow (UK).
Dr. Imran Basit attended medical school at Army Medical College and completed his OPHTHALMOLOGY internship and residency at Armed Forces Post Graduate Medical Institute.
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Imran Basit was serving as an eye specialist in Pakistan Army and was also consultant eye specialist in Royal Saudi armed forces Hospital at Najran.
|FRCS||2005||Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons||Glasgow, UK|
|M.B.,B.S||1986||Army Medical College||Pakistan|
- PG Training at Armed Forces Post Graduate Medical Institute. (AFPGMI).
- ON Job training in UK at North Middlesex Hospital, London. July 1999 to September 1999
- Post operative corneal astigmatism and management. (Approved CPSP Dissertation for FCPS part 2).
- Frequency of D.M., viral hepatitis among cataract patients in a Saudi military hospital. (Pakistan Journal of Pathology, May-June 2009).
- Yaqub A, Basit I. OPTICAL PATHWAY GLIOMAS PRESENTING AS UNILATERAL PROPTOSIS. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2012 Mar 1(1):104..
- Basit I, Hameed A, Akram A. Frequency of diabetic retinopathy among dialysis patients and their awareness about the need for screening to prevent blindness. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2014 Mar 31;64(1):88-91.
- Sahar S, Ayaz S, Akram MU, Basit I. A Case Study Approach: Iterative Prototyping Model Based Detection of Macular Edema in Retinal OCT Images. InSEKE 2015 Jul (pp. 266-271).
- Usmani D, Akram MU, Abbas S, Ahmed T, Basit I. Generation of Retinal Image Mosaic using Weber Local Descriptor. Journal of Information Assurance & Security. 2015 Mar 1;10(3).
- Khan MS, Malik S, Basit I. Effect of intralesional 5 fluorouracil injection in primary pterygium. Pakistan journal of medical sciences. 2016 Jan;32(1):130.
- Comparison of primary versus recurrent pterygium after intralesional 5-FU. (Journal of the Pakistan medical association, May 2016).
- Khan MS, Basit I, Ishaq M, Shakoor T, Yaqub A, Intisar R. Corneal collagen cross linking (CXL) in treatment of pseudophakic bullous keratopathy. Pakistan journal of medical sciences. 2016 Jul;32(4):965.
- ul Haq I. Role of Standard CXL in Cases of Non-Responding Corneal Abscess With & Without Hypopyon. in Vitrectomy for Vitreous Hemorrhage in Diabetic Eye Disease. 2016 Apr;14(2):33.
- Ayub L, samad Khan A, Ayub J, Ayub S, Akram U, Irshad S, Basit I. Differentiation of blood vessels in retina into arteries and veins using neural network. In2016 International Conference on Computing, Electronic and Electrical Engineering (ICE Cube) 2016 Apr 11 (pp. 301-306). IEEE.
- Khan MS, Habib A, Basit I. Unilateral-external ophthalmoplegia: a rare presentation of myasthenia gravis. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2016 Nov 1;26(11):142-3.
- Salam AA, Khalil T, Akram MU, Jameel A, Basit I. Automated detection of glaucoma using structural and non structural features. Springerplus. 2016 Dec;5(1):1-21.
- Salam AA, Akram MU, Arouj A, Basit I, Shaqur T, Javed H, Wazir K. Benchmark data set for glaucoma detection with annotated cup to disc ratio. In2017 International Conference on Signals and Systems (ICSigSys) 2017 May 16 (pp. 227-233). IEEE.
- Akbar S, Hassan T, Akram MU, Yasin UU, Basit I. AVRDB: annotated dataset for vessel segmentation and calculation of arteriovenous ratio. InProceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition (IPCV) 2017 (pp. 129-134). The Steering Committee of The World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Applied Computing (WorldComp).
- Bhatti SH, Mehboob MA, Khan IU, Basit I, Rabbani S, Arslan Z. Comparison of plasma homocysteine (hcy) levels in normal population and patients of pseudoexfoliation syndrome. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2018 Oct 30;68(3):526-30.
- Fida A, Humayun S, Fatima I, Basit I, Ishaq M, Hussain F. SAFETY OF HIGH INTENSITY ACCELERATED CORNEAL COLLAGEN CROSS-LINKING IN KERATOCONUS PATIENTS ON BASIS OF ENDOTHELIAL CELL DENISITY. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad. 2018 Nov 26;30(4):501-5.
- Fida A, Mukhtar A, Basit I, Hussain F, Ishaq M. EFFECT ON CORNEAL DIOPTRIC POWER IN PATIENTS UNDERGOING 23G SUTURE LESS PARS PLANA VITRECTOMY. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2018 Oct 31;68(5):1186-89.
- Khalil T, Akram MU, Raja H, Jameel A, Basit I. Detection of glaucoma using cup to disc ratio from spectral domain optical coherence tomography images. IEEE Access. 2018 Jan 9;6:4560-76.
- Akram MU, Akbar S, Hassan T, Khawaja SG, Yasin U, Basit I. Data on fundus images for vessels segmentation, detection of hypertensive retinopathy, diabetic retinopathy and papilledema. Data in brief. 2020 Apr 1; 29:105282.
- Akbar B, Basit I, Akram A, Zahid M. Comparison of High Intensity Accelerated Corneal Cross Linking Protocols in Treatment of Progressive Keratoconus. Pakistan Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020 Mar 17;36(2).
- Khan F, Humayun S, Basit I, Akbar B, Younis F, Ishaq M. COMPARISON OF BIOMETRIC PARAMETERS AND THE LEVEL OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN OB820 AND IOL MASTER. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2020 Jun 30;70(3):867-72.
- Younis F, Zafar O, Basit I, Jabeen F. CHANGES IN CORNEAL BIOMECHANICS AFTER REFRACTIVE SURGERY USING CORVIS ST-A QUASI EXPERIMENTAL STUDY. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2020 Jun 30; 70(3):792-96.
- Khan F, Khan S, Akram A, Basit I, Humayun S, Rabbani S. EFFICACY OF CYCLOSPORINE EYE DROPS IN TREATMENT OF MEIBOMIAN GLAND DISEASE. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2020 Aug 20;70(4):1164-69.
- Ashraf A, Masud H, Basit I, Awan MM. EFFECT OF ATROPINE EYE DROPS 0.01% ON MYOPIA PROGRESSION IN HIGH AND LOW MYOPIA IN PATIENTS VISITING ARMED FORCES INSTITUTE OF OPHTHALMOLO. Pakistan Armed Forces Medical Journal. 2020 Jun 29;70(3):700-04.
- Hassan T, Akram MU, Basit I. Analysis of optical coherence tomography images using deep convolutional neural network for maculopathy grading. InDiabetes and Retinopathy 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 93-108). Elsevier.
Dr. Nesr Farooq is an Ophthalmologist at Shalamar Hospital. He has done his FCPS in Ophthalmology from CPSP.
Dr. Nesr Farooq attended medical school at Islamic International Medical College and completed his Ophthalmology internship and residency at LRBT Hospital Lahore in 2011. He received his undergraduate degree from University of Riphah.
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Nesr Farooq was an attending physician at LRBT hospital, Lahore.
|FCPS in OPhthalmology||MAY/2006||March/2011||CPSP||Karachi, Pakistan|
|M.B.,B.S.||NOVEMBER/1999||April/2004||Islamic International Medical College||Rawalpindi/Pakistan|
|Post Graduate training||May/2006||March/2010||LRBT||Lahore/Pakistan|
- Characteristics and Pattern of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment in Pakistan JCPSP 2012, Vol. 22 (8): 501-504
- Role of Pars Plana Vitrectomy with ILM peeling in Diffuse Diabetic Macular Edema
- Effect of Cyclosporine a 0.05% in the treatment of subepithelial infiltrates in epidemic keratoconjunctivitis
- Comparative evaluation of intraocular pressure with an air-puff tonometer versus a Goldmannapplanation tonometer
- Inverted ilm flap versus internal limiting membrane peeling technique for treatment of large full thickness macular holes
- Effect of intra-vitreal clindamycin and dexamethasone compared with oral therapy in the treatment of toxoplasmosis
Dr. Khalid Mahmood is an OPHTHALMOLOGIST at Shalamar Hospital. He is diplomat in ophthalmic medicine and surgery from university of Punjab and a Fellow of the College of Physicians and surgeons Pakistan in OPHTHALMOLOGY
Dr. Khalid Mahmood attended medical school at Punjab Medical College and completed his OPHTHALMOLOGY internship and residency at Lahore General Hospital and Mayo Hospital Lahore in 2000. He received his undergraduate degree from University of Punjab.
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Khalid Mahmood was an assistant professor at Post Graduate Medical Institute Lahore and Consultant Ophthalmologist at Lahore General Hospital Lahore and was also working for private practice at Adil Hospital DHA Lahore.
|Fellowship in Ophthalmology||Sept/1996||Sept/2000||College of physicians and surgeons Pakistan||Karachi/Pakistan|
|Diploma in ophthalmic medicine and surgery||Oct/1989||Sept/1990||Post Graduate Medical Institute/Punjab University||Lahore/Pakistan|
|M.B.,B.S.||Mar/1980||Dec /1985||PMC/ Punjab University||Faisal Abad/ Pakistan|
|PROFESSOR OF OPHTHALMOLOGY||July/2013||Till Date||SHALAMAR INSTITUTE OF HEALTH SCIENCES||Lahore/Pakistan|
|ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR||Mar/2010||Jul/2013||SHALAMAR INSTITUTE OF HEALTH SCIENCES||Lahore/Pakistan|
|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||Sep/2009||Mar/2010||SHALAMAR INSTITUTE OF HEALTH SCIENCES||Lahore/Pakistan|
|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||Oct/2004||Jan/2009||POST GRADUATE MEDICAL INSTITUTE||Lahore/Pakistan|
|SENIOR REGISTERAR||Aug/2001||Sep/2004||LAHORE GENERAL HOSPITAL||Lahore/Pakistan|
|SENIOR REGISTERAR||Dec/2000||June/2001||LAHORE GENERAL HOSPITAL||Lahore/Pakistan|
|RESIDENT MEDICAL OFFICER/PGR||Aug/1996||Feb/1999||MAYO HOSPITAL||Lahore/Pakistan|
|REGISTERAR/PGR||Nov/1994||Aug/1996||LAHORE GENERAL HOSPITAL||Lahore/Pakistan|
|RESIDENT MEDICAL OFFICER||Nov/1992||Nov/1994||LAHORE GENERAL HOSPITAL||Lahore/Pakistan|
|Title of Research/ Published Article||Year of Publication||Journal Name||Author/ Co-authors||ISSN #|
|“MAINTAINING INTRA OPERATIVE MYDRIASIS DURING EXTRA CAPSULAR CATARACT EXTRACTION”||2006||PAKISATN POST GRADUATE MEDICAL JOURNAL||KHALID MAHMOOD, SHAUKAT ALI KHAN, MUHAMMAD KHALIL RANA ,WASEEM QURESHI|
|MANAGEMENT OF OCULAR SURFACE SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA AT LAHORE GENERAL HOSPITAL LAHORE||2009||PAKISATN POST GRADUATE MEDICAL JOURNAL||ZAHID KAMAL SIDDIQUI, KHALID MAHMOOD, QASIM LATEEF, WASEEM QURESHI|
|INTER CAPSULAR (IN THE BAG) LENS ASPIRATION AND ANTERIOR VITRECTOMY FOR SUB LUXATED /DISLOCATED CRYSTALLINE LENS IN CHILDREN||2009||PAKISATN POST GRADUATE MEDICAL JOURNAL||KHALID MAHMOOD,SHAUKAT ALI KHAN ,SYED ALI HAIDER|
|OCULAR MANIFESTATIONS OF TUBERCULOSIS||2010||PAKISATN POST GRADUATE MEDICAL JOURNAL||HUSSAIN AHMAD KHAQAN, KHALID MAHMOOD,SYED ALI HAIDER ,ZUBAIR SALEEM|
|LOWER LID ENTROPION CORRECTION BY WIES PROCEDURE USING SINGLE ARMED SUTURE||2012||PAKISATN POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL JOURNAL||KHALID MAHMOOD,SHAUKAT ALI KHAN,HUSSAIN AHMAD KHAQAN,AAMNA JABRAN,QANDIL ZAHRA|
|EXISTING STATUS OF PHYSICAL REHABILITATION OF VISUALLY IMPAIRED STUDENTS AT LOCAL SPECIAL EDUCATION CENTRES OF LAHORE||2012||JOURNAL OF ALLAMA IQBAL MEDICAL COLLEGE||RABIA SIDDIQUE , KHALID MEHMOOD, IMRAN AHMED, ASAD ASLAM KHAN|
|ROLE OF OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHY IN EARLY DIAGNOSIS OF OPEN ANGLE GLAUCOMA: AN EXPERIENCE||2016||Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences||SHAUKAT ALI KHAN,KHALID MAHMOOD,HASHIM IMRAN,SARFRAZ AHMED MUGHAL||1996-7195|
|Effect of Cyclosporine a 0.05% in the Treatment of
in Epidemic Kerato-conjunctivitis
|2019||Ophthalmology Update||Nesr Farooq FCPS1., M. Azeem Ansari, FCPS2.
Prof. Khalid Mahmood Najmi FCPS
|Member||2008||Life||PakistanVitreo Retinal Society||Pakistan|
|Member||2000||Life||Ophthalmological Society of Pakistan||Pakistan|