About General Surgery Department
Established in 1974, the Department of General Surgery at Shalamar Hospital offers a broad range of surgical services including minor and major operations tailored to individual needs.
Our surgeons are leaders in their respective disciplines including endocrine, colon, rectal, thyroid and bariatric surgery with particular expertise in performing minimally invasive surgeries. The department is recognised for house job training by PMDC and FCPS Part II by CPSP as it continues to cultivate innovation and forward thinking strategies into education, training and patient care.
We strive in our values to support the health needs of our underserved community through advances in surgical techniques resulting in better patient outcomes.
Dr. Sadaf Ishaque is a fellowship trained General Surgeon who joined the Shalamar Hospital in 2015. She obtained her medical degree from Fatima Jinnah Medical College, and completed her general surgery residency at Services Hospital. She completed her breast surgery training for 2 years in Breast Surgery Department, Ittefaq Hospital.
Dr. Sadaf Ishaque is heading One-Stop Breast Clinic in Shalamar Hospital from 2019.
Dr. Sadaf Ishaque is a highly skilled general and breast surgeon. Her passion is empowering of females to be their best selves. She advocates the synergistic use of surgery and minimally invasive techniques. Her practice promotes natural looking results and is proud to offer a holistic, on-going individualized service.
She specializes in all aspects of breast health and the surgical management of complex breast diseases. She sees women and men with newly diagnosed or a previous history of breast cancer, benign breast masses and cysts, abnormal imaging, fibrocystic breast disease, those with genetic susceptibility or at high risk for breast cancer, and many others. Her extensive knowledge of novel and up-to-date treatment modalities for breast cancer is an asset to her practice and her patients. In addition, her technical skills, encompassing nipple-sparing mastectomy, oncoplastic surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy and other minimally invasive techniques leads to outstanding clinical and aesthetic outcomes for patients.
|FCPS surgery||2010||2015||College of Physician and Surgeons of Pakistan||Lahore/Pakistan|
|M.B.,B.S. /MD||2001||2006||Fatima Jinnah Medical College||Lahore/Pakistan|
|Breast surgery||2018||2020||Ittefaq hospital recognized by CPSP for breast surgery fellowship||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Oncoplastic breast surgery level 1 course||2019||2019||ESSO UK||UK|
|Oncoplastic level 2 course SKMC||2020||2020||Shoukat Khanum Hospital Lahore||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Onestop breast clinic in tertiary hospital||2020||2020||Shalamar institute of health sciences|
International radiology conference session chair head
VERTICAL INCISION OR HORIZONTAL INCISION FOR EPIGASTRIC PORT IN LAPAROSCOPIC CHOLECYSTECTOMY: WHAT SHOULD BE THE CHOICE?
- Management Of Major Bile Duct Injury After Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: A CASE REPORT
publication date Mar 2017 publication description International Journal of Recent Advances in Multidisciplinary Research Vol. 04, Issue 03, pp.2398-2402, March, 2017
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in Cirrhotic Patients
Publication date Dec 2016 publication description P J M H S Vol. 10, NO. 4, OCT – DEC 2016
Totally Extra-Peritoneal (TEP) Versus Tension Free Mesh Repair for Inguinal Hernia
Publication date Mar 2016 publication description P J M H S Vol. 10, NO. 1, JAN – MAR 2016
- Comparison between Open and Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy in the treatment of 3rd and 4th Degree Haemorrhoids at Surgical Unit II Shalamar Hospital Lahore
Publication date Dec 2015 publication description Lahore P J M H S Vol. 9, NO. 4, OCT – DEC 2015
- Harmonic Scalpel Versus Electrocautery in Axillary Dissection in Carcinoma Breast
Publication date Dec 2015 publication description. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2015 Dec;25(12):870-
|Lifelong member of society of surgeons of Pakistan (Lahore chapter)||2016||Till now||Society of Surgeons of Pakistan||Pakistan|
Interests: Endocrine Surgery& Oncological Surgery
- Waseem T, Azim Asad, Ashraf H, Azim KM. Roux-en-Y Augmented Gastric Advancement (RAGA) for concurrent Esophageal and Gastric Stenosis secondoary to Corrosive Intake: An alternative Technique. Dec 2016, World Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery.
- Arif S, Waseem T, Ashraf J, Ahmad F. Is Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy really siperior to Conventional Hemorrjoidectomy? A long term analysis. Dec 2016, The Professional Journal.
- Arif S, Waseem T, Ashraf J. Prognostic Predictive Value of Mannheim’s Peritinitis Index for Secondary Peritonitis: A prospective Study. Dec 2016, Pakistan Journal of Health Sciences.
- Ashraf HM, Azim A, Talat Waseem, Azim KM. Management of Salivary Duct Carcinoma of Parotid Gland with Total Parotidectomy and Free Flap Transfer (The Professional Medical Journal)
- Azim A, Ali R, Waseem T, Azim K. Xanthogranulomatous Cholecysytitis mimicking as Gall Bladder Carcinoma: A Caution for Hepatobiliary Surgeon. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports.
- Ashraf A, Azim A, Azim KM, Waseem T. Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinoma Presenting as Horner’s Syndrome: A Novel Clinical Presentation. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports. 2016;4(1):38-43.
- Waseem T, Duxbury M, Ashley SW, Robinson MK. Ghrelin promotes intestinal epithelial cell proliferation through PI3K/Akt pathway and EGFR trans-activation both converging to ERK 1/2 phosphorylation. Peptides. 2014;52:113-21.
- Azim A, Azim A, Waseem T, Azim KM. Kimura’s Disease: A Rare Clinical Entity for A Head & Neck Surgeon. American Journal of Cancer Case Reports. 2014;2(2):73-8.
- Waseem T, Swati W, Sheikh A, Murchan P. Is Laparoscopic Peritoneal Lavage an Acceptable Alternative to Hartmann’s Procedure for Diverticular Perforation? A Systematic Review. Journal of Current Surgery. 2012;2(4-5):133-40.
- NABI* MS, WASEEM T, al NTe. Intrathoracic Carcinoids: A 7-Year Tertiary Care Level Experience. Journal of Fatima Jinnah Medical College. 2012;6(3):19-22.
- Waseem T. Commentary: Ghrelin’s role in gastrointestinal tract cancer. Surgical oncology. 2010;19(1):e1.
- Nabi MS, Waseem T, Tarif N, Chima KK. Pulmonary hydatid disease: Is capitonnage mandatory following cystotomy? International Journal of Surgery. 2010;8(5):373-6.
- Nabi MS, Waseem T, Sultan I, Tarif N. A large pulmonary arteriovenous malformation: a classical scenario. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 2010;37(5):1224-.
- Nabi MS, Waseem T. Pulmonary hydatid disease: What is the optimal surgical strategy? International Journal of Surgery. 2010;8(8):612-6.
- Waseem T, Duxbury M, Ito H, Ashley SW, Robinson MK. Exogenous ghrelin modulates release of pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in LPS-stimulated macrophages through distinct signaling pathways. Surgery. 2008;143(3):334-42.
- Waseem T, Ahmad F, Azam M, Qureshi MA. Role of ghrelin axis in colorectal cancer: a novel association. Peptides. 2008;29(8):1369-76.
- Waseem T. Intestinal tissue engineering: Where do we stand? Surgery today. 2008;38(6):484-6.
- Talat W. Exogenous ghrelin modulates release of proand anti-inflammatory cytokines in LPS-stimulated macrophages through distinct signaling pathways. Surgery. 2008;143(3):334-42.
- Waseem T, Sabir NuD, Hussain S, Amir E, Arif S. Rare association: ileocaeco‐colic intussusception secondary to mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix in an adult. ANZ journal of surgery. 2007;77(11):1021-2.
- Waseem T, Mogensen KM, Lautz DB, Robinson MK. Pathophysiology of obesity: why surgery remains the most effective treatment. Obesity surgery. 2007;17(10):1389-98.
- Waseem T. RNA interference: a potential revolution in disease therapy. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons–Pakistan: JCPSP. 2006;16(7):491-2.
- Waseem T. Technologic advances in Robotic Surgery. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons–Pakistan: JCPSP. 2005;15(9):559-61.
- Duxbury MS, Ito H, Benoit E, Waseem T, Ashley SW, Whang EE. RNA interference demonstrates a novel role for integrin-linked kinase as a determinant of pancreatic adenocarcinoma cell gemcitabine chemoresistance. Clinical cancer research. 2005;11(9):3433-8.
- Waseem T, Duxbury M, Ito H, Rounds J, Gonzalez J, Lautz D, et al., editors. Ghrelin: a novel humoral mediator of intestinal adaptation. Gastroenterology; 2004: Wb Saunders Co Independence Square West Curtis Center, Ste 300, Philadelphia, Pa 19106-3399 Usa.
- Waseem T, Duxbury M, Ito H, Rocha F, Lautz D, Whang E, et al. Ghrelin ameliorates TNF-a induced anti-proliferative and pro-apoptotic effects and promotes intestinal epithelial restitution. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2004;199(3):16.
- Duxbury MS, Ito H, Benoit E, Waseem T, Ashley SW, Whang EE. Experimental Therapeutics, Molecular Targets, and Chemical Biology-A Novel Role for Carcinoembryonic Antigen-Related Cell Adhesion Molecule 6 as a Determinant of Gemcitabine Chemoresistance in. Cancer Research. 2004;64(11):3987-93.
- Duxbury MS, Ito H, Benoit E, Waseem T, Ashley SW, Whang EE. A novel role for carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecule 6 as a determinant of gemcitabine chemoresistance in pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells. Cancer research. 2004;64(11):3987-93.
- Duxbury MS, Waseem T, Ito H, Robinson MK, Zinner MJ, Ashley SW, et al. Ghrelin promotes pancreatic adenocarcinoma cellular proliferation and invasiveness. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2003;309(2):464-8.
- Waseem T, Duxbury M, Ito H, Ashley S. MK (2008) Exogenous ghrelin modulates release of proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in LPS-stimulated macrophages through distinct signaling pathways. Surgery.143:334-42.
- Waseem T”Impact of Knife vs. Diathermy Incisions on Postoperative Pain” (ISBN 978-3-659-25048-4) LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AV Akademikerverlag GmbH & Co. KG, Heinrich-Böcking-Str. 6-8, 66121, Saarbrücken, Germany. (BOOK).
Interests: Obesity Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery
- Alkharsah, K. R., et al. “Vascular endothelial growth factor A polymorphism and risk of Kaposi’s sarcoma herpesvirus viremia in kidney allograft recipients.” Transplant Infectious Disease 16.5 (2014): 783-789.
- Alzahrani, Alhusain J., et al. “Assessment of Genetic and Immunological Factors Associated with Hepatitis C Infection in Saudi Hemodialysis Patients.” Journal of Biosciences and Medicines 2.01 (2014): 51.
- Outcomes of laparscopic sleeve gastectomy in 400 patients – Ayed Alqathin Omer
- Khan, Rizwan A., Babar H. Khan, And Fareeha K. Khan. “Peg Tube Insertion: Enhanced Need For Greater Selectivity In Patient Referral.” Biomedica 27 (2011): 129.
- Khan, Babar H., Zubair Ahmed, And Rizwan A. Khan. “Effects Of Diuretic And Vasodilator Therapy In Meniere’s Disease.” Biomedica 27 (2011): 115.
- Khan, Fareeha, Rabbani “Comparison between one and two days treatment with intravenous cefuroxime if lap cholecystectomy” PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCE, Vol.6 (2014
- Khan, Ghulam Jilany, Fareeha Khaliq Khan, Rizwan Ahmad Khan, Muhammad Jamshaid, Fauzia Tajdin, and Muhammad Imran Sajid. The tendency of using alternative medicine in differnet hospitals of Lahore” “ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE.”Vol 21.No.6( 2014)
Interests: Laparoscopic Surgery
- Original article “The Role of Selective Exploratory Protocol in Penetrating Injuries of the Abdomen” published is “ESCULAPIO”, Volume 1, Issue 4, Jan-March 2006, pages 27-31.
- Original article “Role of Proximal Tube enterostomy in management of typhoid enteric perforation” published in “Annals of KEMC”, Volume 13, Issue 1, Jan-March 2007, pages 27,28.
- Original article “Acute Appendicitis in Pregnancy” published in “ESCULAPIO”, Volume 02, Issue 03, Oct-Dec, 2006, pages 19-21.
- Case Report “ An Unusual presentation of Hydatid Disease” published in “ESCULAPIO”, Volume 03, Issue 01, April-June, 2007, pages 29-30.
- Dissertation for FCPS” The Role of Selective Exploratory Protocol in Penetrating Injuries of the abdomen”.
- Original article “Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in Cirrhotic Patients” published in “ESCULAPIO” Volume 05, Issue 01, April-June 2009, pages 17-19.
- Original article “Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy as Day case surgery” published in “Esculapio” volume 06, Issue 03, October-December 2010, pages 52-53.
- Original article “Laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy” published in “Esculapio” volume 07, issue 03, July-september 2011, pages 32-33.
- Original article “Role of Ultrasound in outcome of Blunt Abdominal Trauma” published in “Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences” Vol 07, Jan-March 2013 pages 27-29.
- Original article “Management of Nocturnal enuresis, which is the best option” published in Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences Vol 08, Jan-march 2014, pages 156-157.
- Case Series “Aggressive Surgical Management of Fournier’s Gangrene(Necrotizing Fasciitis) Review of 13 cases” published in Esculapio , Vol 10, Issue 1, Jan-March, 2014, pages 42-45.
- Original article “Development of cost effective and efficient teaching model for flexible Cystoscopy” published in Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences Vol 09, Jan-March 2015, pages 21-23
- Rana, Humad Naeem. “Outcome of Primary Colonic Repair in Penetrating Abdominal Trauma.”Annals of KEMC, 1997.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “COLORECTAL CARCINOMA.”Professional Medical Journal, 2013 20 (Issue # 6): 1014-1018.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Comparison of laparoscopic with mini cholecystectomy experience at CMH Multan.”PJMHS, 2013 (7).
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Compressed air injury to the colon/rectum and its sequelle.”PJMHS, 2010 Vol(4) issu (4): 409-412.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Daycare Surgery in Hernia.”Annals of KEMC, 2000.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Early Conversion is safe option to avoid complication in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy for Beginners.”Annals of KEMC 12 (Issue # 1), 2006: 15-17.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Epidemiology of Lung Cancern in Pakistan our expereince at SKMHL.”Annals of KEMC, 1998.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Granulomatous Mastits : A Review of 18 Cases.”PJMHS 4 ((Issue # 1), 2010: 49-52.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Presentation of Collertal Carcinima : A Local Experience.”Annals of Punjab Medical College, 2013.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Tuberculocsis of open choleystectomy wound.”JCPSP, 2017.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Types and Outcome of Cardiac Tachyarrhythmias– A Single Cardiology Centre Expereince.”PJMHS, 2013: 7.
- Rana, Prof.Humad Naeem. “Varaibel in terms Colonic Carcinma.”JFJMC, 2013 vol (7) (Issue # 1)
Interest: Surgical Oncology and Endocrine Surgery
- A Ashraf. Asad Azim, Talat Waseem, Khawja Azim. “Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinoma Presenting as Horner’s Syndrome : A Novel Clinical Presentation.”Amercain Journal of Cancer Case Reports, 2016: 4 (Issue # 1) 38-43.
- Ameer Afzal, Tooba Mehmood Gauhar, Waqas Tariq, Khawaja M.Azim. “Management of Hyperparathyroidism : A five year surgical experience .”Management, 2011.
- Asad Azaim, Khawaja M Azim,Talat Waseem. “Kimura’s Disease : A Rare Clinical Entity for Head & Neck Surgeon.”Amercain Journal of Cancer Case Reports , 2016: 2 (Issue # 2) 73-78.
- Asad Azim, Ali Azim. Ta. “A Rare Clinical Entity for A Head & Neck Surgeon .”Amercian Journal of Cancer Report, 2014: 2(Issue # 2) 73-78.
- Asad Azim, Talat Waseem, Fatima Mir, Khawaja Azim. “Non Alpine Epithelioid Angiosarcoma of Thyroid Gland : A Rare Clinical Scenario.”Amercian Journal of Cancer Report, 2016: 4(Issue #2) 152-155.
- Asif S, Talat Waseem, Ashraf J. “Prognosic Perdictive Value of Mannheinm’s Peritinitis Index for Secondary Pertiomitis : A Prospective Study.”Pakitan Journal of Health Sciences, 2016: 10(Issue #3)1024-1027.
- Asif S, Talat Waseem, Ashraf J,Ahmed F. “Is Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy really siperior to Conventional Hemorrjoidectomy? A long term analysis.”The Professional, 2016: 23(Issue #12)1505-1512.
- Azim Asad, Ali Raza,Talat Waseem,Khawaja M.Azim. “Xanthogranulomatous Cholecysytitis mimicking as Gall Bladder Carcinoma : A Caution for Hepatobiliary Surgeon.”Amercian Journal of Cancer Report, 2016: Issue 4 (2) 101-105.
- Gauhar Mehmood, Asif Maqbool Shahzad Nouman,Khawja M.Azim. “Colnic Perdoration induced by Short term use of slow release diclofenac.”Journal of College of Physicins and Surgeon, 2012: 328-329.
- Gauhar T, M A Choudary,H.M.A,Azim A, Khawja M.Azim. “Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma.”Thyroid Disorder Ther, 2014: 3 (141-142).
- Gauhar Tooba Mahmud, Nouman Shahzad,Tayyaba Mehmood, Khawja M Azim. “Parathyroid Carcinoma.”Journal of College of Physicins and Surgeon, 2012: 2 (issue # 12) 789-799.
- Hasham Ashraf, Asad Azim,Khawaja Azim, Talat Waseem. “Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinoma Presenting as Horner’s Syndrome:A Novel Clinical Presentation .”Amercian Journal of Cancer Report, 2016: 4 (Issue # 1)38-43.
- Saddique, Faiza Ahsen,Nazir,Ashfaq Ahmad,Naveed Ahsan,Tooba Mehmud,Azim KM. “Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma.”Professional Medical Journal, 2014: 20 (Issue # 4) .
- Talat Waseem, Asad Azim, Hasham Ashraf, Khawja Muhammad Azim. “Roux-en-Y Augmented Gastric Advancement (RAGA) for Concirrent Esophageal and Gastric Stenosis secondary to Corrosive Intake : An Alternative Technique.”World Journal of Gastroointesttinal Surgery, 2016: 766-769 8 (Issue #12).
- Talat Wseem.Asad Azim, Hasham Ashraf,Khawaja Azim. “Management of Salivary Duct Carcinoma of Parotid Gland with Total Parotidectomy and Free Flap Transfer .”The Professional Medical Journal , 2016: 23 (9) 1163-1166.
- Tariq B, Waqas Bashir,M.Umer,C.Wasif Majeed, Muhammad Asif, Khawja M Azim. “Single Procedure Esophageal Bypass : A Valid Option in Delayed Surgical Intervention for Complicated Esophageal Perdoration.”The Internet Journal of Surgery, 2009.
- Tariq Bashir, Muhammad Umer, Ali Azim, Tooba Mehmood, Ameer Afzal, Khawja Azim. “Conn’s Syndrome :A Diagnostic Dilemma : Case Report.”The Internet Journal of Surgery, 2009: 24(1).
- Tooba Mehmood. Nasir Nazim, Ameer Afzal, Khawja M Azim. “Clinicopathological Presentation of Soliary Noudle in our setup.”Chart, 2008: 279(62).
- Waseem T, Duxbury M,Ashley SW,Robinson MK. “Gherlin promotes intestinal epithelial cell proliferation through PI3K/Akt pathway and EGFR trans-activation both converging to ERK 1/2 Phosphoryation.”Peptides, 2014: 52 (113-121).