About Orthopaedics Department
Established in 1988, the Department of Trauma & Orthopaedics at Shalamar Hospital treats a comprehensive range of orthopaedic conditions including musculoskeletal pains, physical deformities and joint disorders. Our team spares no effort in helping our patients heal by managing their pain and restoring limb function.
In 2006, the department proceeded to obtain recognition for its postgraduate training program from College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP). Since 2010, our department has also been leading AO International Courses in collaboration with AO Foundation, a Swiss non-profit organisation led by an international group of expert surgeons of trauma and orthopaedic disorders, with the aim of teaching junior doctors the proper operative care for fractures and high energy injuries.
Our goal is to attain the highest standards of preoperative, perioperative and postoperative orthopaedic care as we continue to seek advances in surgery and diagnostics.
Conditions We Treat
Procedure and Treatments
Lower & Upper Limb Surgery
Soft Tissue Reconstruction
Foot & Ankle
Hallux Valgus Correction (Big Toe Deformity)
Hindfoot Corrective Surgery
Rheumatoid Forefoot Arthroplasty
Basal Thumb Arthritis Surgery
Carpal Tunnel Release
Rheumatoid Hand Surgery
Joint & Revision Joint Replacements
Total Elbow Replacement
Total Knee Replacement
Total Hip Replacement
Total Shoulder Replacement
Lower Back Pain Management
Caudal Epidural Technique
Discectomy or Laminectomy
Selective Nerve Root Blocks
Total Shoulder Replacement
Dynamic Compression Plates (DCP)
Limited-Contact Dynamic Compression Plate (LC-DCP)
Dynamic Hip Screw
Foot & Ankle Fracture Fixations
Hand Fracture Fixation with Mini Implants
Intra-Articular Fractures Reconstruction
Intramedullary Locking Nails
Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO)
Proximal Femoral Nailing (PFN)
Poly Trauma Management
Recon Nail Intramedullary Fixation
Dr. Muhammad Ali is an Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at Shalamar Hospital. He Graduated from Nishtar Medical University in 2002. He is a fellow college of physician and surgeon (CPSP) Pakistan since 2011.
He completed his Internship and General surgery residency from Nishtar Medical University Multan, Pakistan. After that he moved to Aga Khan University hospital for his orthopaedic and trauma residency. After completion of his residency at AKUH and passing his FCPS (board) in Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery, he joined SKMCH &RC Lahore, Pakistan and completed his JOINT REPLACEMENT AND TUMOUR fellowship. After that he moved to Italy to pursue his training in limb lengthening and Ilizarov surgey at Alessandro Manzoni Hospital, Lecco, Italy. He completed his 3rd Fellow in complex trauma at University Hospital Gasthuisberg(Leuven, Belgium.
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Muhammad Ali has also worked as Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon at Punjab social security hospital Lahore, Pakistan.
|Fellowship in Joint Replacement and Tumour surgery.||14/06/2011||15/06/2013||SKMCH &RC||Lahore, Pakistan|
|Fellowship in limb lengthening and Ilizarov surgery||09/2012||10/2012||Alessandro Manzoni Hospital,|
|Fellow in complex trauma||11/2012||12/2012||University Hospital Gasthuisberg||Leuven,/Belgium|
|MBBS||11/1996||10/2002||Nishtar Medical University.||Multan /Pakistan|
|GENERAL SURGERY(Residency)||04/2004||11/2005||NISHTAR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY||Multan, Pakistan|
|ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY(Residency)||11/2005||12/2010||AGHA KHAN UNIVERSITY Hospital||Karachi, Pakistan|
|JOINT REPLACEMENT||02/2019||03/2019||Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre,||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|AO TRAUMA Faculty||2008||Present||AO Institute||Davos/Switzerland|
|A prospective comparative study of Proximal Femoral Nailing Anti-rotation (PFNA) and Sliding Hip Screw (SHS) for Per-trochanteric Femur Fracture.|
|Year of Publication |
2020; 24(2): 156-160
|Journal Name |
Medical College (JRMC)
|A Comparative Study of Displaced Distal Radius Fracture Treated with K-Wire Vs Volar Locking Plate .||2019||Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health sciences|
|Outcome of Distal Tibial Fractures fixed||2019||PJMHS|
|Radiological and Clinical Outcome of Volar Barton Distal Radius Fractures Treated by Variable Angle Volar Locking Plates (Chinese Version)||2019||Rawalpindi|
Medical College (JRMC)
|Role of Arthoscopy in Early Management and Diagnosis of Knee Pain.||2018||Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health sciences.|
|Parosteal Lipoma of the Forearm: A Case Report||2018||Archives of Orthopedics and Rheumatology||Muhammad Ali||2639-3654|
|Locked Neglected Posterior Shoulder Dislocation-Outcome||2018||Journal of Physical Fitness, Medicine & Treatment in Sports||Muhammad Ali||2577-2945|
|Osteopoikilosis: An Incidental Finding in a Patient with Olecranon Fracture||2017||MOJ Orthopedics & Rheumatology.|
|Early results of three and four part proximal humerus fractures||2014||MOJ Orthopedics & Rheumatology.|
|Outcome Analysis of Hip Arthroscopy.||2013||JPOA||Muhammad Ali||2076 – 8966|
|AO TRAUMA, Davos, Switzerland||2008||Present||AO Institute||Switzerland|
|American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)||2015||Present||American Academy||USA|
|European Knee society||2016||Present||EKS||Italy|
|European Hip society||2016||Present||EHS||Spain|
Dr. Imran Manzoor is a Orthopedics Surgeon at Shalamar Hospital. He is board certified in Orthopedics from CPSP and a Fellow of CPSP in the specialty of orthopedics Surgery.
Dr. Imran Manzoor attended medical school at King Edward Medical College, Lahore and completed his Orthopedics Surgery internship and residency at Mayo Hospital, Lahore and Services Hospital, Lahore in 2000. He received his undergraduate degree from University of Punjab.
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Imran Manzoor was an attending Orthopedics Registrar at King Fahad Specialist Hospital Buraida- Saudi Arabia.
|Fellowship in Orthopedics Surgery||01/2012||Till date||CPSP Pakistan||Pakistan|
|M.B.,B.S.||04/1985||06/1991||King Edward medical College||Lahore|
|Resident Orthopedics||02/1996||11/1998||Services Hospital Lahore||Lahore|
|Resident Orthopedics||12/1998||05/2001||Mayo Hospital Lahore||Lahore|
|ATLS||04/2005||04/2005||American Academy of Trauma||Buraida- Saudi Arabia|
|ACLS||05/2003||05/2003||American Academy of Cardiologists||Buraida- Saudi Arabia|
- Original article titled “Relation of Geriatric depression with generalized aches and pains in old age home patients in Pakistan Journal of Medical & health Sciences Nov 2020.
- Comparison of PFN Vs DHS in Trochenteric fractures in Rawalpindi Medical College Journal of Medical Sciences. Date June 2019.
- Comparison of LCP Vs K-wire for distal radial fractures in Pakistan Journal of Medical & health Sciences date Sept 2018.
- Comparison of Ordinary cotton liner Vs Water resistance cotton liner for POP cast regarding patient comfort level. In Pakistan Journal of medical & health sciences. Date June 2017
- Role of early Arthroscopy in diagnosis of Knee pain in Pakistan Journal of Medical & health Sciences date June 2017
|Membership AO Truama||2013||AO Trauma||Switzerland|
Dr. M.Usman Sarwar an Orthopaedic Surgeon at Shalamar Hospital. He is a fellow of College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan and a Fellow of the AO Trauma (Belgium).
Dr. M. Usman Sarwar attended medical school at 2003 and completed his internship in medicine and surgery at Mayo Hospital Lahore and residency at Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi in 2011. He received his undergraduate degree from University of Hamdard, Karachi..
Prior to joining Shalamar, Dr. Usman was an attending physician part of Orthopaedic and Trauma Associate at National hospital and Medical centre, Lahore and was also working at a private practice in same hospital.
|Fellowship in Orthopaedics and Trauma||01-11-2004||31-12-2011||Aga Khan University Hospital||Karachi/Pakistan|
|Resident||11/2006||12/2011||Aga Khan University Hospital||Karachi , Pakistan|
1- Outcome of mid 1/3rd clavicular fracture after open reduction and internal fixation. Journal of Pakistan Orthopaedic Association 2014 VOL.26 (1) MARCH 2014
M.A.Wajid, M.Usman Sarwar
2- Outcome analysis of Hip Arthroscopy. Journal of Pakistan Orthopaedic Association 2013 VOL 25(3) MA Wajid, M.Usman Sarwar
3- A Comparative Study of Displaced Distal Radius Fracture Treated With K Wire Vs Volar Locking Plate Fixation
IMRAN MANZOOR, MUHAMMAD USMAN SARWAR, MUHAMMAD SALEEM, MUHAMMAD ALI, SHAUKAT RABBANI, MUHAMMAD ISHTIAQ, P J M H S Vol. 13, NO. 2, APR – JUN 2019 323
4- Outcome of Distal Tibial Fractures fixed with Precontoured Periarticular Locking Plates using MIPO Technique: a case series of 60 patients
MUHAMMAD ALI, MUHAMMAD SALEEM, MUHAMMAD USMAN SARWAR, ZAHID HAFEEZ, ALEENA YOUNAS, MUHAMMAD ISHTIAQ P J M H S Vol. 13, NO. 2, APR – JUN 2019 301
5-A prospective comparative study of Proximal Femoral Nailing Anti-rotation (PFNA) and Sliding Hip Screw (SHS) for Per-trochanteric Femur Fracture Amer Khan1, Muhammad Ali2, Ayesha Tahir3, Muhammad Saleem4, Usman Sarwar5, Imran Manzoor6 Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC); 2020; 24(2): 156-160
6-Role of Arthroscopy in Early Management and Diagnosis of Knee Pain
MUHAMMAD SALEEM, MUHAMMAD ALI, IMRAN MANZOOR, USMAN SARWAR, SHAUKAT RABBANI 1167 P J M H S Vol. 12, NO. 3, JUL – SEP 2018
7- Relation of Geriatric Depression in People Living in Old Age Homes with incidence of Generalized Fibromyalgia
IMRAN MANZOOR1, AYESHA MANZOOR2, USMAN SARWAR3, SHAZIA HASSAN 4, UMAIR ASHRAF5, EHSAN BARI6 886 P J M H S Vol. 14, NO. 4, OCT – DEC 2020
|Elected Member community development officer ,m idle east and northern Africa – AOTrauma||2019||2022||AO Institute||Switzerland|
Professor Dr. Muhammad Saleem is a Orthopedic Surgeon at Shalamar Hospital and he is also Head of Department of Trauma and Orthopedics Shalamar Medical College, Lahore. He has done Diplomat Intercollegiate Board in Trauma and Orthopedics Surgery (FRCS Trauma and Orth) in 1999 from U.K. He has also passed his FRCS in 1993 from Royal College of Physician and Surgeon of Glasgow (UK).
He attended medical school at Nishtar Medical College, Multan and completed his MBBS in 1987. He went to Ireland and England for his Postgraduate training in Trauma and Orthopedics Surgery. He worked 3 years in well reputed hospital in Ireland and passed his FRCS exam. Then did his 5 years residency in London, Stanmore under supervision of Prof. George Bentely and worked in the state of the art teaching Hospital like great Ormond Street, Royal Free, North Middle Sex, Lister, Basildon, Orsett, Old Church and Whittington Hospital. He worked as a locum consultant Orthopedic surgeon in Old church Hospital in London before joining Shalamar Hospital. He joined Shalamar Hospital as a consultant Orthopedic Surgeon in April 2000 and since then he has been working with the excellent performance and dedication.
His areas of interest are Paedriatic Orthopedics with the special interest in managing the feet deformities both congenital and acquired of all age group. He also does adult orthopedics Arthroscopy surgery, Joint replacement surgery, Ilizarov surgery and providing latest Trauma care for the fracture treatment including non-unions as being Shalamar Hospital a AO Trauma Centre and conducting every year AO International Courses from the last 9 years.
|Diplomat Intercollegiate Board in Trauma and Orthopedics Surgery||1999||The Royal College of Physician and Surgeon of Glasgow, UK||U.K|
|AO Trauma Fellowship||1998||University of Freiburg||Germany|
|Fellowship FRCS||1993||The Royal College physician and Surgeons of Glasgow, U.K||U.K|
|M.B.,B.S||1987||Nishtar Medical College||Multan|
|SpR Trauma & Orthopedics||From 1/1/1998||To 31/12/1999||Old Church Hospital, Rumford, Basildon and Orset Hospital.||London, U.K|
|SpR Trauma & Orthopedics||1/7/1996||31/12/1997||Great Ormond Street, Whittington and The Royal Free Hospital||London. U.K.|
|SpR Trauma & Orthopedics||1/8/1994||30/06/1996||Lister Hospital, North Middle Sex Hospital and Royal Free Hospital||London. U.K.|
|SHO in Orthopedics / Surgery||21/9/1990||30/6/1994||Meath Hospital, Wexford General, Cork Regional & St. Mary’s. Ealing Hospital||Ireland & London|
|AO Foundation FEP (Faculty Education Program)||02/2018||04/2018||AO Trauma Middle East||Dubai|
|ATLS||02/1996||Royal Free Hospital, London||U.K.|
|AO / ASIF- BASIC COURSE||07/1994||Royal College of Surgeons of England||England|
|BASIC TECHNIQUES IN ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY||04/1995||The Royal College of Surgeons of England||England|
|FOUNDATION COURSE ON LOCKING NAILING||25/10/1995||The Royal College of Surgeons of England||England|
|BASIC ILIZAROV METHOD COURSE FOR SURGEONS||10/1995||Lakeside Hotel, Windermere||England|
|EXTENAL FIXATION IN TRAUMA AND ORTHOPEEDIC||05/1996||The Royal College Surgeons of England||England|
|AO ADVANCE COURSE||12/1996||Davos||Switzerland|
|MANAGEMENT OF SPORTS INJURIES||05/1997||The Royal college of Surgeons of England||England|
|THE STANMORE HIP REPLACEMENT SYSTEM / WORKSHOP||06/1997||ROH, Stanmore||London|
|DEBATE ABOUT HIP REPLACEMENT / WORKSHOP||11/1997||Southmead Hospital, Bristol||England|
|BASIC SCIENCES COURSE IN ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY||09/1998||RNOH. Stanmore||England|
|TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT COURSE/ WORKSHOP||03/2001||The Doctors Hospital||Lahore|
|HANDS ON SAW BONE WORKSHOP/LIVE SURGERY OF PRIMARY & REVISION TKR||23/04/2014||Ghurki Trust Teaching Hospital||Lahore|
|AO PEER Course- Principal of Clinical Research / Teacher Seminar||28-29/07/2018||SMDC||Lahore|
- Use of Ilizarov method on tibial bone in Children. January, 2001 Vol. 12 No. 1 ( Supplement) by Saleem, R. Hill JPOA
- Bone Graft Substitutes (Review Article) Review of current technology and application. January, 2001 Vol. 12 No. 1 ( Supplement) by Tariq Sohail, Saleem, Zahid M. Akhtar & Aamir Ayaz Siddiqui JPOA
- Paraplegia in a Hemophilic Pt. as a result of Carries spine. Feb 2001 Vol. 13, No. 1 by M. Saleem, Tariq Sohail, JPOA
- Interlocked Intramedullary Nailing Experience of Shalamar Hospital. Aug. 2001 13, No. 2 by M. Saleem, Shakaeel Durani, JPOA
- Where does the Ambulance service stand in Lahore for Trauma Victims 2002 Vol. 14 No.1 by Muhammad Saleem, Mubashar Sherazi, JPOA
- Comparative Ambient and indoor particulate matter analysis of operation theatres of Government and Private (Trust) Hospitals of Lahore, Pakistan. The Journal of Animals and Plants Sciences, 25 (3 supp. 2) 2015 special issue page: 628-635, ISSN: 1018-7081 A. Nimra1, Z. Ali1, M.N. Khan1, T. Gulshan1, S. Sidra2, J.R. Gardez3, R. Tarar4, M. Saleem4 Z.A. Nasir5, and I. Colbeck6
- Role of Arthroscopy in early management and diagnosis of Knee Pain. Vol, 12, Jul. – Sept, 2018 (1167-1169) ISSN 1996- 7195 Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences. M. Saleem, M. Ali, Imran Manzoor, Usman Sarwar & Shaukat Rabbani
- Comparison between water resistance padding and synthetic cotton padding, regarding patient comfort level under the cast for fractures. P J M H S Vol, 12, Jul. – Sept, 2018 (1170-1172) ISSN 1996- 7195 Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences.
- Outcome of Distal tibial Fractures fixed with Precountoured Periarticular Locking Plates using MIPO Technique: a case of 60 patients P J M H S Vol. 13, April – June 2019 (301-303) ISSN 1996- 7195 Muhammad Ali, Muhammad Saleem, Muhammad Usman Sarwar, Zahid Hafeez, Aleena Younas, Muhammad Ishtiaq
- A Comparative Study of Displaced Distal Radius Fracture Treated With K Wire Vs Volar Locking Plate Fixation. P J M H S Vol 13, No. 2, April – June 2019, 323-326 Imran Manzoor, Muhammad Usman Sarwar, Muhammad Saleem, Muhammad Ali, Shaukat Rabbani, Muhammad Ishtiaq
- Radiological and Clinical Outcome of Volar Barton Distal Radius Fractures Treated by Variable Angle Volar Locking Plates (Chinese Version) Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC); 2019; 23(1): 51-54 Muhammad Ali, Zahid Hafeez, Manqoosh Ur Rehman, Shaukat Rabbani, Muhammad Saleem
- A prospective comparative study of PFN and SHS for Per-trochanteric Femur Fracture Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC); 2020; 24(2) 156-160 Amer Khan, Muhammad Ali, Ayesha Tahir, Muhammad Saleem, Usman Sarwar, Imran Manzoor.
|PMDC||1987||Till date||Pakistan Medical & Dental Council||Islamabad, Pakistan|
|GMC||1994||Till date||British General Medical Council||U.K.|
|AO Trauma membership||2012||Till date||AO Trauma International||Switzerland|